"Mike Turnbull is a singer-songwriter from the Lake District whose main instruments are tenor guitar & octave mandola. Their sound coupled with the sources of his songs suggests Seth Lakeman and, in truth, that isn’t a bad comparison. He certainly has the same drive and energy."
Dai Jeffries - Folking.com
Circlet of Gold EP promo.
Whilst folk is his main inspiration right now, over the years Mike has indulged in a variety of musical styles (including rock and Brit-pop), and has played in various bands and duos (Exit, Watermark, Shine, Well Travelled Bed, The Loved Ones, Southern Edge) and contributed to many other musical collaborations.
Late 2017, saw the initial release of ‘Circlet of Gold’ an indie-folk album featuring 7 of original songs, some of which are inspired by Mike's home region the Lake District.
- Music in Ulpha - support for Ninebarrow
- Staveley Folk & Acoustic Club
- Hawkshead Brewery, Staveley
- Lily Bar, Ambleside
- Ruskins, Kendal
- Holme Social Club, Holme
- Keswick Mountain Festival 2018
- Pudfest - Kendal
- Kings Head - Hawkshead
- Bay Trust Radio - Kendal
- BBC Radio Cumbria - BBCIntroducing
- Replay Record Store - Kendal
- New Union - Kendal
- Kittchen - Hawkshead
- Manna House - Kendal
- Ivy Leaf Club - Kendal
- Settle Gathering
- Sticklebarn - Langdale - Support for Tobias Ben Jacob
- Octoberfest - Sticklebarn, Langdale
- Octoberfest - with Southern Edge
- Staveley Roundhouse - Support for Bella & Polly
STOP PRESS NEWS!
September 2018 Mike will record a full album in Stroud with Lukas Drinkwater, 'probably the hardest working folk musician in the country' (...a quote by Mark Radcliffe).
ep Circlet of Gold... just click HERE and please click on the songs to hear them first, and download or order the album digipak. (the artwork is worth it!)
What they've said so far...REVIEWS