Originally built in 1897 as a Union Hall which was designed by architect Arthur H.L. MacKinnon. It was sometimes used for occasional film shows. It became a full time cinema, opening as the Picturedrome in 1910. Seating was provided in stalls and circle.
Photos by cinematreasures.org/theaters/23175/photos
In 1924 its interior was given an early style of Art Deco modernisation. It was re-named Cinema and it kept this name at least into the late-1950’s. By 1963 was re-named Cinema House. It was always an independently operated cinema and closed in 1971. Converted into a bingo club then a bar and nightclub known as the Forum until 2016.
The venue was re-named The Assembly in 2016.